I went to the trouble to put some of the info on FP7 projects into a google spreadsheet. My objective is to make some of this data a little more transparent. (Of course, I might have just asked the guys in Brussels and they might have given me the info, but I only thought of this afterwards).
I focused on the network of the future part of the programme as it is kinda known to me. Also, it does spend quite a lot of EU tax dollars, so it is somewhat interesting to see where it goes.
Some of this data is more or less publicly available, but I’ve provided a first cut at the raw stuff here:
Some basic analysis yielded the following factoids:
- Total projects funded: 91
- Total budget of all funded projects: €613.6m
- Total EU contribution: €386.8m (a little over 63% of the total)
- Breakdown by project type:
- STREP: Mean total budget, €4.72m, mean EU contribution €3.07m (55 projects)
- IP: Mean total budget, €14.91m, mean EU contribution €9.48m (20 projects)
- CSA: Mean total budget, €1.18m, mean EU contribution €0.89m (8 projects)
- NOE: Mean total budget, €8.86m, mean EU contribution €3.90m (5 projects)
- CA: Mean total budget, €0.69m, mean EU contribution €0.57m (3 projects)
There are lots more interesting things to do – look at university involvement, look in more detail at project outputs, look at other areas, look at number of partners, geographical distribution etc.
If you are interested in doing more with this data, you can just copy the the spreadsheet and make your own fun!